Photo Galleries

 

A Photo Gallery of the Historic Canton Church Through Time:  Canton Church Through Time Gallery

Photos courtesy of the Montana Historical Society, John Beck and Hugh Van Swearingen

 

 

 

 

A Photo Gallery of the 2017 Townsend 7th Grade Field Trip  

 

 

 

 

 

A Photo Gallery of the Canton Church:  Canton Church Now

Photos courtesy of Hugh Van Swearingen and Pam Sample

 

 

 

 

 

A Photo Gallery of the past Canton Church Events: Canton Church Events

Photos courtesy of Hugh Van Swearingen

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A Photo Gallery of the Vestments worn by a priest at the Toston Catholic Church.  Toston area resident and charter Board member Grace Berberet donated these Vestments worn by a priest at the Toston Catholic Church. Like the Canton Church, as the constiutency of the Toston Catholic Church waned, the Helena Diocese stopped holding services and eventually sold the Toston Catholic Church to a private individual who moved the Church to the old A. B. Cook Mansion currently located just north of Townsend on Highway 12. These Vestments are a beautiful rememberance of the Catholic Churches that once served the small communities in Broadwater County.

The photographs were taken by noted Broadwater County photographer Kelly Morris.

 

 

 

 

 

 

A Photo Gallery of the Helena Art Center Paint Out:  Canton Church Paint Out

Photos courtesy of Hugh Van Swearingen

 

 

 

A Photo Gallery of the Farrand Organ in the Canton Church. The Farrand Reed Organ was manufactured by the Farrand & Votey company of Detroit, Michigan. Started in Detroit as the Detroit Organ Co. in 1881 as a worker-owned enterprise, the company proved unsuccessful and was bought out by Detroit music dealer C.J. Whitney and organ builder Edwin S. Votey, a former Estey employee, in 1883 and incorporated as the Whitney Organ Company. W.R. Farrand joined the same year as financial manager. Whitney retired in 1887, and the name changed to Farrand & Votey.  The company started building pipe organs in 1888 and in 1889 acquired the patents of Frank Roosevelt, sucessor to Hilborne Roosevelt.  In 1890 the company acquired the Granville Wood Pipe Organ Company.  In 1897 the company split up, Farrand remaining with the reed organs as the Farrand Organ Company and Votey taking the pipe organ and player piano business into the Aeolian Company where he came a vice-president. The Farrand Oregon Company brought out its own piano player, the Cecilian, and went bankrupt in 1915.   Organ Photo Gallery